Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Dilly Beans with Thyme

Dill is not my favorite herb. And it's very difficult to find fresh here on the Central Coast. So, I used the thyme I had in abundance from our garden and, boy howdy! This is my current favorite snack. They should really be called Pickled Green Beans with Thyme but I grew up on Dilly Beans so regardless of the herb, that is what I shall always call them. Like bacon in any given recipe, I also double the garlic from the original recipe to be eaten enjoyed as well.

Recipe originally found in Ball Blue Book with a few tweaks of my own.
Ingredients:
2 pounds green beans
1/4c canning salt
2 1/2c water
2 1/2c vinegar
2tsp pepper flakes
8 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
one big handful of thyme or other herb that sounds good to you (dill, oregano, etc)

Trim ends off the beans and cut to fit in the jar. Combine water, vinegar, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Pack beans lengthwise leaving a 1/4" headspace. Tuck garlic and herbs in around beans. Sprinkle pepper in each jar.Ladle hot liquid over beans, leaving 1/4" headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims. Adjust two piece lids. Process 10 minutes in boiling water canner.

Yield: about 4 pints, 2 quarts, or 8 half pints.
This is not a complete canning lesson. More of a simple recipe. For a few great canning tutorials online, head here:

  • Ball Jar Company has an abundant website full of recipes, tips, and resources. See the basics here.
  • Simple Bites Canning 101 is easy to follow and you'll enjoy poking around this lovely food blog
For more of my favorite ideas and resources on canning, please follow along with my Pinterest board, Can It!
Enjoy!
xo,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...